Wednesday 11 December 2013

Out to lunch

After we picked the apple trees up my Dad and I went to lunch at the White Swan in Pickering.The owners had kindly offered us a free main course lunch for 2 if I have their menus on show to my guests. I recommend that if guests are going on the North Yorkshire Moors railway and get off feeling hungry that the White Swan is only a couple of hundred yards away. We were welcomed by Catherine Feather who I have know for many years. Her husbands family ran the Feathers in Helmsley for donkey's years and her brother Simon used to ride jack's point to point horses when jack got too old or should I say wise to ride in races any more. Lunch was delicious. My Dad had a huge great plate of fish and chips and mushy peas which he polished off. I had their special ploughman's platter which was so big I took some home for my mum for her tea. The bread was gorgeous too. I looked at the price and thought for what they charged it was very good value. An ideal place halfway between our house and my friends to meet up again for lunch. Certainly didn't need to eat for the rest of the day. So saves on the washing up too. The son of the owners started off the Ginger Pig Meat Co and they have cookery books on sale too as well as having the produce on the menu