Tuesday 16 July 2013

Carry on Camping .....

...without me. I have always thought the idea of camping would be great.I have slept out under the stars many times on a hot summers night. I remember once it was so dark and the ground seemed so remarkably soft.It wasn't till next morning when Jacks Dad woke us up we discovered the softness was actually molehills. That was many moons ago, this time it was going to be far more civilized in a wigwam . Wow I thought cowboys and Indians and camp fires and the like. Wigwams are now like wooden pig huts, not like the canvas wigwams I played in as a child. Well Sunday night came and we settled down in this "Pig Hut" A friend had invited me along with her daughter and the granddaughter. We had Pimms and sausages in bread for supper.I had taken bacon and mushrooms along so I was already looking forward to breakfast time. Dusk came along with Yorkshire midges - mosquitoes to most.Lumps and bumps started to appear.We were told don't venture into the longer grass as there are snakes. The novelty was wearing off rapidly.I think we went to sleep too early as about 2.30am myself and daughter were wide awake. I do mean wide awake .It was like a sauna in the pig hut but no one else seemed to want the door left open. I was nearest the door so I am sure if anyone tried to pinch me they would have soon dropped me. By 3am I had had enough of sleeping on a plastic mattress I am a big girl for goodness sake! I was ready for home .One slight problem, dear friend had forgotten the exit code and there was a barrier I couldn't get my car through.It was too early to ring anyone, the owners would not have been amused. So I sat in the car watching the sun rise. Waiting for someone to pounce on when they went to the shower block. How can people sleep so long ?. All these caravans and pig huts so close together, it was more like inner city housing to me. Finally a knight in shining armour -well his striped pjs came to my rescue and I was soon on my way home. Needless to say it was a long day and wasn't I glad to get back to our bed that night.So anyone thinking about camping think seriously first.Then come and stay in a nice comfortable bed here. As Karen Schaler the travel therapy and TV presenter said Our beds are some of the most comfortable she had ever slept in