Saturday 5 May 2012

Jack can now have a bus pass.

3rd May 1952- Jack was the first born of Charlie and Brenda Peckitt. He was born at Weston Nursing Home just outside Malton and brought up at College Farm, Byland Abbey.So on Thursday night it seemed pretty apt that we went back down to Malton to celebrate his 60th birthday .My husband an OAP-gets his bus pass and pension reductions here and there. Doesn't seem 5 minutes since he was winning races at the local point to points when he was the golden boy of the track. Back to 2012- we went to the newly opened Talbot which has had much publicity lately as James Martin is in running the food there.It supports local businesses and for me that is what it is all about.I would love to say it was everything you would expect . Malton so needs somewhere as gracious as this.Hey I am no food critic but I have my opinion. First get rid of the head waiter or whatever his fancy name is -he is so up his own it is unbelievable. Shame there was not the slightest background music when I mentioned to the receptionist on the way out she said it was due to it been a listed building... It was like a morgue making for a very stiff atmosphere.. I choose well I had the taste of Yorkshire pork as you will see .Poor Jack went for the scallops which were served on black pudding. The latter been as thick as a cream cracker and not as thick as a butter puff. I choose loin of beef which again was very nice, the mushroom risotto was divine .Unfortunately Jack choice the
cod ,two bites and it had gone.I parted with one of my piece of beef as after all it was his birthday. Asking for an extra bread bun to fill up on. I had a desert -it was a desert no more no less. Jack opted for Gaelic coffee which was fine but in that sort of establishment you would have thought it would have had a small chocolate or the like with it.but alas no. Afterwards we went to meet an old schoolfriend of mine,Dave Preston,who was over here from Canada in the Wentworth Arms in Old Malton. Different place completely not to be compared with the Talbot. I really think the head waiter should go in there on his day off, they would teach him a thing or three but I doubt if they would give him a job.